Chinese drywall Turns Dream Home into Nightmare – Part I

It’s early on a rainy and dreary day. Emily, a 40-year-old mother of three, is sitting in her car, looking across the driveway at the four year old home she bought last April, 2012. She thought it would be her dream home, but her experience has been more like a nightmare.

In the year sits a large metal container. It looks like a shipping container that would be used on a boat. The container holds the recently stripped out interior of her home, the toxic Chinese drywall that cost Emily and her family so much – even their health.

“I thought I bought my dream home,” said Emily. “I had pictures of the front of my house plastered everywhere, at work, on my fridge. It was my first house as a single woman. I thought I did everything right. I brought in a home inspector. I asked all the right questions. How did this happen to me?”

Emily bought the house from its previous owner in August of 2011. She works hard every day in the medical field, and after saving for a year and a half, she wanted to do everything right. So, she called in a home inspector.

After spending over two hours in the house, the home inspector told Emily it was perfect. He couldn’t find anything wrong with it, he said. A second home inspection would also get the thumps up.

Soon the air conditioning went out. She called one of the big air conditioning companies in town and they said her AC was low on Freon. They had to refill her air conditioning system with Freon four times from August to the following March.

“Finally that company called me and said the EPA would not allow them to continue putting Freon in my unit without doing a leak test.” Emily remembered. “It was high dollar already. I had only been in the house six months – how can it already be a money pit?”

Emily enlisted Jeff Crabb, of Crabb’s Heating and Air, Inc., to do the leak test. “He wasn’t in the house but a couple of minutes and he detected it.” Emily said. “It was Chinese drywall. The gases from it corroded the copper in my unit. That’s why the Freon was leaking out.”

Chinese drywall is defective drywall made and imported from Chinese manufacturers beginning in the first years of the 21st century.

Lab tests have identified emissions of several sulfurous gases – carbon disulfide, carbonyl sulfide and hydrogen sulfide – coming from the drywall. These gases emitted by Chinese drywall can be destructive to home materials and pose severe serious health risk to people exposed to it. Short-term exposure (for a period of a few hours)has been shown to result in sore throat, shortness of breath, eye irritation, chest pain and nausea. Longterm exposure over a period of weeks can cause chronic fatigue, insomnia, loss of appetite, dizziness, irritability, headaches and memory loss.  The gases from the drywall had been eating through the copper coiling on Emil’s air conditioning unit.

Join us next week where we conclude our story of: “Chinese Drywall Turns Dream Home Into Nightmare”

This entry was posted in Blog and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>